Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Vice vs. Virtue in the Duck Dynasty

Duck Commander? Hillbilly millionaires? Flowing beards and neglectful hygienics? 

I am confused. But I like it. 

Duck Dynasty is A&E's most watched show of all time. Not that A&E is my go-to network, but 8.6 million viewers, for a show about this, is not something that should go unrecognized. 

As the most watched show for A18-49 on television, Duck Dynasty now sits atop the throne of most sought after ad time there is. I guess one could wonder what got Duck Dynasty to the top of the ratings list, but that would require an analysis of the profoundly demented American brain. (Including my own.) Some people may ask, "why?" and our response to them is "why not?" You could tune in and relish in the mind numbing pointlessness... or you could read a book, contemplate the future of the globalization.. paint your nails. Whatever virtuous things people do these days. 

We live in an era of complete polarization in all matters of life; from politics to reality television and back again. Some find their purpose in advocacy work, others in civil protest, the rest of us... Duck Dynasty. Sad? Yes. True? Undeniable. 

 Either way, it's on tonight at 10pm. 


1 comment:

  1. I have no idea what possessed someone to make a show like Duck Dynasty but honestly, more power to them. I would have never in a million years sat down to watch this show if it wasn't for my roommate and I can say I am now a better person for having viewed it. Possibly the best thing to ever happen to me since Honey Boo Boo, and that's saying something.

    ReplyDelete